A Clean Getaway – Shampooing Strategies
If your shampooing strategy looks like this: you step under a hot shower to wet your hair, squeeze out a palm full of shampoo, pile your hair on top of your head, plop the shampoo on, and give it all a vigorous scrub, then it may be time rethink your routine.
Give your hair a clean getaway! Follow this simple shampoo how-to and you’ll use less shampoo, avoid tangles and breaks, and boost your hair’s volume and shine:
- Use a natural bristle brush or wood comb to gently remove tangles from dry hair.
- Wet your hair with warm water.
- Apply about a teaspoon sized dollop of shampoo into your palm, and then vigorously rub your hands together to work up the lather.
- Starting at the nape of the neck and moving toward the crown, run sudsy fingers through the hair just along the scalp.
- Rub your hands together again to redistribute and re-lather the shampoo, and then run your fingers through your hair along the scalp from the crown towards the forehead.
- Once the shampoo is distributed over the head, gently massage the scalp, and then use your fingers to rake the lather through your hair from scalp to tip.
- Rinse well.
If you are switching from a synthetic shampoo, add a pinch of baking soda to the dollop of shampoo to cleanse and clear the build-up on your scalp. Rinse and repeat.
If you have thick hair you may want to try conditioning, shampooing, and then a final condition. This process leads to super shiny hair!
If you are used to using a lot of shampoo and getting masses of lather, this new strategy might feel inadequate at first. Yet the less shampoo you use the bouncier and shinier your hair will be.
Here’s to your healthy hair and scalp.
Nadine Artemis, the founder of Living Libations, is the author of Holistic Dental Care: The Complete Guide to Healthy Teeth and Gums, and Renegade Beauty: Reveal and Revive Your Natural Radiance, which was named one of “The Top 10 Books on Skin Care” by The Strategist of New York Magazine. She is a respected media guest and contributor, and her products have received rave reviews in the New York Times, LA Times, Elle, People, Vogue, and Hollywood Reporter. Described by Alanis Morissette as “a true-sense visionary,” Nadine crafts elegant formulations and healing creations from rare botanicals that have skin glowing around the world. Her concept of Renegade Beauty encourages effortlessness and inspires people to rethink conventional notions of beauty and wellness.